Thursday, January 15, 2009

Man I'm Good!

This is BIG. I was in the kitchen almost ALL day today. Besides unloading the groceries, I got to help a few different people measure out some things for them. Although that sounds like it wouldn't take long at all... you are wrong. There are so many things you must do for measuring to even take place. Let me explain. You know how on cooking shows on food network they always have the perfect amount of ingredients already in glass bowls? Well first I had to go find many different sizes of glass bowls. (You would be surprised how many sizes there really is.) Then I had to go find the ingredient I was going to measure out. For example I had to find heavy cream. But since there was not any heavy cream in the "walk-in" I had to then go find Paco's fridge (the testing I was working on was Paco's) and get it out of there. THEN I could go by to my station and measure. If that doesn't sound bad then here is another one. Minced parsley leave and mace. I have never heard the words minced and mace in my entire life until today. So I go in the pantry to try to find these items. I only came out with one but that's alright. I came out with the mace (it's a seasoning). But then came the other challenge. Dried cherries. I had a bag of them for the purpose of this recipe. I open it up, and half of the bag is empty. I feel like every food company has done this to me lately. Hopefully I am not alone. But because we were tripling the recipe I had to.. can you guess? I had to measure out the dried cherries 3 different times. I successfully measured out 2 of the times... but then came the last one. *Note*- At America's Test Kitchen if you are measuring out dry items, you are required to use a dry measuring cup rather than the regular measuring cup. Here is the difference between the two.









a dry measuring cup ......................................a regular measuring cup






















So I fill up about 3/4 of the dry measuring cup with the dried cherries and what happens? There is no more cherries in the bag. That was the biggest problem I had to deal with.


But man am I good at grating cheese. I got to grate soooo much cheese today. I thought I wasn't able to with the policy and all, but was informed that I could. So grating also took up a lot of time.


And now I shall mention my library job. It still isn't over but not what I thought they were going to assign me to do. All I had to do today was put the new cookbooks in a category I thought they would be in. And then Matt would double check it and then later I will put tape on it for that category and put it in its place.




But while I was looking through the new cookbooks, I came across this. It made my day for sure. I looked through and didn't find anything that related to cooking so I went and asked Matt about it. He informed me that it is going under the entertainment category of the library. I thought I might have been able to take it but I was wrong. But it's all good. For those of you who don't know, my family and I have a Seinfeld obsession. Festivus is a Seinfeld holiday. If you don't know what I am talking about then there is no use in trying to explain it to you. So I highly suggest that you watch the Festivus episode. Another special fact about Festivus is that it is on my birthday. We celebrate it in our household. And speaking of Seinfeld, it come on in a minute. More to come tomorrow.



2 comments:

  1. Festivus for the rest of us!!!! EClaire, SO glad you have a blog!! I love reading about your internship! I hope y'all stay warm up there!! Give Bearie a hug for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wondered about the test kitchen. I will keep following along!

    ReplyDelete